Do you have a clean home? Most of you must be vacuuming and mopping the floors regularly, changing your sheets at fixed intervals, and cleaning your kitchen and bathroom at least once a week. Is all this sufficient? Are you missing something? How about your switches and power points? Do you clean them?
Most people do not think about cleaning the switches and power points. One of the reasons for this negligence is that you may not think of switches as something that gets dirty and deserves cleaning until they start to accumulate visible gunk or turn yellow. The other reason is that many are unaware of how to clean them safely.
Why Should You Clean Your Power Points and Switches
When you come home after a day of work, what is the first thing that you do? You would turn on the lights and fans by pressing the switch. You would do this even before washing your hands since you need light to find your way to the sink. When you come from outside, you come in contact with many surfaces that may contain various germs. You have now successfully tracked these germs to your home and your Clipsal light switch covers.
Even if you are using the switches while staying at home, it is almost impossible to wash your hands before touching the switches every time. You inadvertently end up getting dust and dirt to them. The humidity in the air can also attract dust to the switch covers. Switches in your kitchen might also have a layer of oil on them, and the oil can further attract dust.
In addition to this, most clipsal light switch covers and power points come in white or light colours. While these colours compliment the walls and offer a contemporary look to the home, these colours also tend to get dirty the fastest. And yellow switches or switches with gunk on them do not represent a clean home.
How to Clean Switches and Power Points
Switches and plug points are attached to electricity, and they pose of risk of giving you a shock if you are not careful. Because of this, you may feel that you do not know to clean the switches, and it is best to leave them alone.
However, there is a way to clean them safely. Here are some ways to do that.
- Start by turning off the power in your home or remove the fuse so that it is safe to work with the switches.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the clipsal light switch covers. Different types of surfaces will need different approaches for removing them. Be careful to collect the screws when you remove them, as you will need them to put the cover back in place once you have finished cleaning.
- If you have not cleaned the switch covers and plug point covers in a long while and there are stubborn stains on them, you will have to soak them in a mixture of detergent and water. You can then use a dishcloth to wipe the covers clean. You can also opt for a soft brush for removing stubborn stains.
- If your switch and power point covers are relatively new or if it has not been that long since your last clean up session, then you can spray them with a mixture of detergent and water and wipe them clean.
- If you see dust or spider webs in the internal circuit, then you can use a small, soft dry brush to clean these out.
- Once your switch and plug point covers are completely dry, you can screw them back in place.
Viola! You now have a clean switchboard.
What Precautions Should You Take While Cleaning Your Switch and Plug Point Covers?
While the cleaning process itself is pretty straightforward, ensure to take the following precautions.
- Turn off the power of the switchboard before you remove and replace the covers.
- Never spray a cleaner directly onto the switches while they are attached to the board.
- Only clean them after you remove the cover away from the board.
- Ensure that the switch and plug point covers are completely dry before putting them back.
- If your clipsal light switch covers are made of aluminium or timber, wiping them with a soft dishcloth is the best way to clean them. Sponges or brushes can scratch the surface of the covers.
Cleaning your switches and plug points ensures that they keep looking new for a long time. It also helps maintain hygiene in your home. Since you know all the precautions to take before cleaning the switches and power points and why it is important to clean them, it is time to get started on the actual cleaning.